Susan Barty is a partner within the Commercial Department, specialising in dispute resolution particularly in the Technology, Advertising and Marketing, and Media sectors.
Susan is also deputy head of the Consumer Products Focus Group. She advises clients across a wide range of industry sectors including consumer products, information technology and pharmaceuticals, and has substantial experience of alternative dispute resolution procedures.
Susan is a member of the Executive Committee of ITechLaw (the International Technology Law Association) and a member of the Society for Computers and Law, and has spoken regularly on issues affecting the Technology sector. She is also head of the Advertising and Marketing team, a member of the Advertising Law Group and recommended as a Leading Individual by Chambers and Partners for Advertising and Marketing.
Susan also has extensive experience in the management and resolution of media and defamation disputes. She regularly advises companies on how to use the law and the regulatory codes to protect their reputations and on how to deal with adverse media attention, whether in broadcasts or in the press.
IT Litigation includes advising:
- The prime contractor in an arbitration arising out of the late delivery of poor quality software by a subcontractor in a major PFI project
- A dispute relating to a contract for the development of a global portfolio management system and defending the service provider against a claim for failure to complete the development within the contractual time scales
- A dispute with a software developer subcontractor relating to the software developer’s failure to design and implement the software solution in accordance with an agreed specification
Media litigation includes advising:
- One of the major broadcasters on a dispute relating to the management of premium rate phone-in quiz show and the successful settlement of the dispute
- the termination of a sponsorship agreement, defending proceedings brought and bringing a counter-claim, recovering significant damages and successfully resisting a challenge to the decision to the Court of Appeal
- A leading international finance company on a number of media matters including long-running exchanges with ITV over the proposed broadcast of a significant documentary which led to the documentary being withdrawn from broadcast Advertising and marketing
- Various ASA complaints, both for the advertiser and for the complainant including as to strategic issues
- On threatened proceedings in relation to comparative advertising
Consumer products/Lifesciences litigation includes advising:
- A manufacturer on a significant claim against a major retail chain for breach of a discounted supply agreement
- A manufacturer on a claim made in connection with the termination of long term distribution arrangements within Europe
- A manufacturer in connection with the termination of licensing arrangements in Japan and the UK, including advising in relation to proceedings in both the Japanese and English court
Bristol University, LLB. The College of Law, Guildford, Solicitors' Final Examination. LLM, Advanced Litigation (Distinction), Nottingham Trent University. Accredited Mediator with CEDR.